Strapped for cash and want to do something fun? Head over to Chinatown for an amazing day of cultural experience. Grab a friend you haven't seen in a while, bring a new date, or even explore the hustling and bustling neighborhood by yourself.
Here's how to do it with $10 or less. Here we go!
1. Chinatown Ice Cream Factory - When I bring friends to Chinatown, I usually bring them straight to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. With flavors like ginger and almond cookie, there is always something for everyone. For big occasions like Mother's Day and Thanksgiving, you can even pre-order ice cream cakes with your three favorite flavors!
65 Bayard St
New York, NY 10013
Phone: (212) 608-4170
2. Elizabeth Center - With a cone or cup in hand, head around the corner to Elizabeth St. (which has now been named Private Danny Chen Way) to the famous Elizabeth Center. There are lots of gift shops with presents to buy for your friends. But go quickly - many of the stores are closing soon!
13 Elizabeth St
New York, NY 10013
3. Mahayana Buddhist Temple - work your way to the beautiful and colorful Buddhist temple for a cultural experience. It's free admission, but you are more than welcome to leave a donation. There is a beautiful interior that is worth exploring!
133 Canal St., New York, NY 10002
at Manhattan Bridge Plz.
4. Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA) - Learn about Chinatown's history. Learn about Chinese history in New York City. This is a great time to go, especially because it's Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month! The general admission is only $10, but you can snag a deal on Thursdays with free admission through Target Thursdays.
215 Centre Street New York, NY 10013
5. Fruit & Vegetable Stands - Before getting back on the subway after your fun-filled day in Chinatown, stop by the fruit and vegetable stands on Mott Street. Walk past Hester St. and you will see store after store filled with fruit, vegetables, and more. It's the perfect and cost-effective way to finish your day in Chinatown and get dinner ready!
That's on our list. What's on yours?