1. Can you introduce yourself and where you work and your profession. How long have you been there?
I am a licensed clinical social worker since 1979 and have worked at Hamilton-Madison House since 1984 in many capacities. My current job is as Assistant Executive Director for Cultural Enrichment which consists of running music school, a resource center and a program for teens and their families.
2. Can you tell us more about HMH and why you think its important to the community?
Hamilton-Madison House has been around since 1898 and provides services for the entire family including preschool, senior services, mental health services and cultural enrichment services. People can just walk in to Hamilton-Madison House to get services-no bureaucracy or red tape. Some programs have guidelines but all can come by to inquire.
3. What do you think the greatest needs are for the community at this time?
I think housing, employment, English classes and services for teens are great needs of the community
4. Most rewarding memory working in the community.
I have many wonderful memories that have kept me here for 31 years-there are too many to select just one. It has been nice to see young people grow up and bring their children. It is also nice to see people go on to college and then return as staff or volunteers to give back to their community.
5. If you were given a million dollars to help the community; how would you spend it?
If I was given a million dollars, I would like to create more programs for young people to build their self-confidence to help them succeed and programs for parents to travel beyond Chinatown so they can feel comfortable taking their kids out to expand their horizons.
6. You actually live in the area. How long have you lived here?
I have lived in lower manhattan my entire life-my grandparents were immigrants and the neighborhood is diverse and people tend to stick around for many years-that is a nice feeling and provides an important support network for all of us. Kind of everyone is your family. That is changing.
7. What is your favorite place to eat and what do you order?
One of my favorite places to eat is Buddah Bodai for dim sum because I am a vegetarian, Luna Pizza , Clinton Street Baking Company, Bella Ferrara and Chinatown Ice Cream Factory.
8. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
Zen Butter from CICF